Earn fun rewards. Click here!

Search & Win

Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Case of the 9-pound Baby

THE BOOK OF GABRIEL
Chapter 1
1 And it came to pass, that the woman entered the concrete building at her appointed time, the Friday before MLK day, to be inducedeth. But the head wet nurse said, "Nay, thou shalt not stay for this inducing, for the linoleum rooms are full, and thou doeth not have priority to have thy baby at this appointed time."

2 So the not-so-virgen maiden departed back to her home, angry at the wet nurse for not calling her the day before and telling her not to get up early to get ready for the appointed time that did not follow. And again while the maiden stewed within her mind, a phone call came from the wet nurse who guarded the linoleum rooms. But her news was maddening to the maiden, saying that there would be no room for her or her baby boy at the concrete building.

3 And it was not good, but the maiden's mother was there to console the maiden's madness, while the baby's father stayed away at school waiting for the smoke to clear. For this man knew that it would be his fault, regardless of his helplessness and the wet nurse's evil intents.

4 And then the next day came, for it was Saturday, and the movements of the baby did not cease. And the belly of the maiden squeezed at inconsistent times. So the maiden went to take a bath to help calm her womb's uneasiness.

5 And it came to pass that the voice of the baby Gabriel within in her womb spoke to the maiden while she soaked, saying, "To hell with this, woman! I'm comin' without that woman's approval." And he sent a little fluid as a precursor for the woman to see. And he caused the maiden's womb to squeeze to a rhythm.

6 And then maiden came from her bath and told the man with whom she loved, "Let's go. He's comin'." And the man, who was nearly asleep at the time, for it was the afternoon of a lazy Saturday and he had eaten a large lunch, awoke and took his fair maiden to the concrete building.

7 And to make a long story short, the baby Gabriel came from the maiden's womb later that night and cried and whimpered, for he was big, and nobody would tell him not to make such noises. And now all is well. For Gabriel is already nine pounds heavy, with feet the size of Sasquatch, and hair the color of light brown.

8 And it came to pass that the family rejoiced in the coming of the baby Gabriel. For he was here, and was about darn time.
9 Let it be heard: BEHOLD! Gabriel reigneth over the Allen household.



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was SUCH a great story! Loved every second of it, just wish you had even gone into MORE detail. :) That's me tho, I like detail. Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! 9 lbs even??

Unknown said...

Rachel & Jamie! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. Jamie, you are so creative. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Rachel, that's wonderful you went into labor and didn't have to wait until today. That showed the evil nurse! Gabe is absolutely gorgeous. What an adorable and beautiful baby boy! I love the pictures of your girls holding him. So precious. And the one of you holding him is so beautiful. I hope you're feeling well considering everything Rachel. Thinking about you and your family! ~Jenny and James.

Jill W said...

That is the best post I have ever read! Good for you for being so creative after just having a baby! I guess you're a pro at it by now, huh, this being number 4 and all. Wow - he does have big feet! I love the photo comparing his foot prints. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, you guys! He is beautiful! Jamie, that was hilarious, as usual. We love you guys! We hope we get to see you and that cute new baby soon! Love, Letti, Greg, and Kids

Erika and Jason said...

That is so exciting! It doesn't look like your girls are excited at all. Just remember to enjoy being a mom when times are really hard.

Christina said...

Oh yeah!! YOu have a little boy!! What a cute little boy too!! Congrats to the both of you! I love that you have a blog! I am going to link it to mine if you don't mind. Congrats again I hope all is well!

carol said...

Hooray Hooray!!! I am so happy he is here, and that post was hilarious. When the time comes, I am totally stealing it. Gabe is adorable and oh so sweet. I want to kiss him.

JulieJ said...

What a little cutie. You must have broke the curse because I'm getting my girl!

Ryan and Krystal said...

9lbs...I guess it could have been worse :) Congratulations! He is so cute! Your girls will be a big help I am sure!

Camile said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post - I even called Aaron at work to read it aloud to him. I liked the part about the baby's father staying at school until the smoke cleared.

I love the pictures - so sweet!!! Gabriel totally fits in your family.

cressfamily said...

Loved the story. Gabe is soo cute. Congratulations. Can't wait to see him.

Brandy said...

That story is hilarious! (I'm sure you were not thinking it was so hilarious as you walked out of the hospital though! YIKES! How rude!) I'm so glad you're little boy is here and healthy! Congrats!

Craig Atkinson said...

wow 12 comments..looks like I need to have a baby :) he looks just like your guys...its so obvious..how fun is that. I loved your post...very entertaining. CONGRATS WITH THE BOY!!!!!

The Dobbs said...

Oh my gosh!! I don't think Dallas and I have laughed that hard in a long time. I'm sure at the time it happened it wasn't funny to you but you sure made our day!! Congrats on the baby boy, they are sooooo much fun! Love you guys!
Dallas and Katie Dobbs

Chele said...

Congrats. Love the story!! He is so very cute. I am so very excited for you guys. 9LBS that is amazing. GOod luck I bet the girls love him to death.

Livingstone Family said...

Rachel, I hope you don't mind my blog-stalking! Congrats on your baby, he is so sweet. I just have to say that I am thouroughly enjoying all your pictures of Tucson. Right now while we're drowning in snow I miss my swimming pool! You've done so many fun things and I have to admit that I really miss that place! We did so many fun things while we were there (including Nogales). One thing I loved is that I bought a pass to the Children's Museum, we spent a lot of time there and it was so worth it for the price of a one year pass. Congrats again, enjoy your sunshine!
Mindy (Peterson)