Earn fun rewards. Click here!

Search & Win

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Commence the "Ooh"-ing and "Aw"-ing

Jamie has started on a project working with Holstein steers. The project entails working with newborn calves. New ones (like born within the last 24 hrs) are arriving at the farm each weekday now. Have a look at what he deals with on a daily basis.
Only a few days old and still clean.

Misses his mommy, but he's also hungry.

When you have nearly fifty calves now and another 50 expected, all willing hands are accepted. Even Mommy and the girls help Daddy with the bottles.

Who knew training calves to bottle-feed could be so hard. The stronger ones bully the weak ones, the hungry ones try to nurse off the workers, and Jamie has to wear camouflage to avoid getting a headbutt to the groin. Camo doesn't work, other than for wiping milky slobber off his hands.
After helping Daddy with the calves, a little R&R with the 350 lb sow is pleasant.

4 comments:

carol said...

Aw...Ooh. You guys are surrounded by babies! Baby people, baby cows...well I guess that's it. But the cow babies have nothin' on Gabe. That picture in your header might be the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Christina said...

How cute!! Lucky!!

Chele said...

I must say that I never thought that I would see you bottle feeding a calf. But I thought I never would either. It is fun isn't it. My girls love it. Looks like you were having fun. Love the picutre of the four girls.

Erika and Jason said...

That sure looks like Jamie has his hands full. It does look like fun.